TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL DANCE AUDITION
1. BE RESTED! Be sure to get enough sleep the night before your audition!
2. FOOD! We know you’re nervous but it is really important to eat healthy and the right foods!
a. Eat breakfast! Protein is a must! Avoid too many carbs that just dump into your bloodstream all at once. Try to pick foods that will provide slow and steady fuel all day!
b. AVOID CAFFEINE! Too much caffeine can heighten anxiety and leave you feeling shaky!
c. Put something into your stomach a couple hours before your audition! Don’t over eat; you do not want to be left feeling bloated or heavy. But a nutritious snack like a banana with peanut butter or a yogurt would be beneficial!
d. WATER! WATER! WATER!
3. APPEARANCE! Make sure your look is polished. Hair secured back, appropriate dance wear for the style of dance you are auditioning for, proper shoes! If call backs are possible, plan to wear the same outfit ~ this helps keep you identifiable in a crowd of dancers!
4. BE EARLY! Arrive in plenty of time to warm yourself up! You know your body best and what you need to dance at your optimal ability!
5. BE COURTEOUS! Treat your fellow dancers, instructors and audition panel with the utmost respect! Don’t push towards the front, don’t dance on the sides while others are auditioning and take corrections with grace.
6. PERFORM IT! Even during the class prior to the audition, sell it! Dance full out with energy, expression and enthusiasm.
7. ASK! If you have a question, do not be afraid to ask it! The instructors are there to help you and both they and the audition panel want you to do well!
8. BE GRACIOUS! Say “thank you” to the audition panel and the instructors at the end of the audition. Even if you don’t make it. Acknowledge the opportunity that was presented to you.
9. REMEMBER YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!
10. HAVE FUN! SMILE!